Friday, October 26, 2018

The Space Between Our Footsteps- Part 2

I am so glad that I was recommended this book. It has added to my single story so much. Women have such an important role in society, yet are constantly discriminated against. The culture centers around men, similarly to Mexican culture. Many of the poems written by women discussed the fact that they were overshadowed by men. These women are barely allowed to use these art forms as an outlet to express their feelings. It is interesting to see that both society and the men in their lives oppress women. But these women are so strong. They know that their culture oppresses women, but they continue to fight it. This collection immersed me into the culture of Middle Eastern people and their lives. This book was perfect as my first read because it gave me a good understanding of culture that I can use as a lens as I continue to read.

1 comment:

  1. I'm glad you loved it so much. Was there a particular poem or image that got created that you connected with? For me it's the combination of art work and poems that speak of a place and images different from my own landscape--olive, date, and fig trees, for examples rather than snowy pines and maples. They create this displacement that transports me and makes me curious. If you haven't already seen it, let me suggest that you find the film Wadjda. I know it's not a book, but I think it will give you yet another perspective!

    ReplyDelete