Sunday, October 21, 2018

Digital Poetry Interpretation


Here is my finished product of my digital poetry interpretation of Sonnet 130 by William Shakespeare. I chose this poem because it isn't like many love poems. I had performed this sonnet for a Shakespeare monologue and sonnet competition back in high school, and I have always really loved it. But as I was story boarding I realized my interpretation had changed since high school. I now interpret the mistress as someone who is beautiful in her own way, she may not be what society considers to be perfect, but she is on her own, unique way. As soon as I realized this was my new way of reading the poem I contacted my friend Mazal, for not only did she fit the description, but she is so unique and beautiful in her own way. She agreed to do it and another friend agreed to read the poem and be featured at the end.
I think because I had a clear concept in my head this process was very easy and fun for me. Because I have a background in theatre, filming and directing was very easy. Clip Champ also made editing very easy for me and I was able to add the extra touches to really pull the video together. My process was very easy: story board, film, record, edit, and now I am so happy with the finished project! My three friends who helped me out did everything just as I had imagined.
After this project I definitely think a project like this, or any multimedia project would be really great in a classroom. I think even without a theatre or technology based background any student could do this. I would imagine students would rather do this than write a paper, even though more time could be put into making a video. Plus, students can learn this type of technology for later usage in life, whether it be in college or after. This was much easier and much more fun than expected!

1 comment:

  1. It's so cool to see the growing maturity of your interpretation of this piece and how that affected the choices you made about how to create this video. I like learning how your story boarding either shifted your thinking or helped you realize that it had changed. That's part of the power of this kind of work--you're not just underlining rhyme scheme, but you're figuring out how this would look, and how the narrator would say each line or how the actors can convey that meaning for you. While I liked the whole thing very much, I think I most enjoyed the end, when you went for a long shot and the narrator entering the visual narrative too. Very cool. What inspired that choice?

    ReplyDelete