Monday, December 17, 2018

"An Afghan Woman"

In Shattering the Stereotypes I came across this play called "An Afghan Woman" by Bina Sharif. And wow. It brought me to tears in such a short period of time. It wasn't so much as a play, more of a short story/personal narrative. The narrator was talking directly to the reader. She was directly addressing me, and I think that is why it made me so emotional. I think the woman is never named because many women are going through or have gone through these thoughts and situations (hence the "An" in the title rather than "The"). This piece, like the others, talked a lot about the Taliban and how different it was when they took over.
I would say the hardest part for me was when she talks about silence, which is a reoccurring theme she brings up multiple times. She repeatedly says "I am silence. My silence is silent. Silent is my silence."(246). The word 'silent' almost becomes not a word because how often she says it. She discusses how she does not have a voice, her silence is actually stronger than her voice. But me, on the other side of the television/book have a voice and need to use it for her. So here I am, making my video, ready to tell her story.
Out of the other book I read, I think she faced the most hurt from it (even over Malala). She mentions kids, which she tells her audience "And when you do speak, don't forget to mention my dead children and dead parents and dead grandparents and dead great-grand parents. Don't forget to mention the history of innocent death." (250) Even as I type that I begin to tear up.

No comments:

Post a Comment