Sunday, September 9, 2018

My List of Readings of a Single Story

Possible Reads:
REALISTIC FICTION: Her Name in the Sky- Kelly Quindlen
AUTOBIOGRAPHY: My lesbian experience with Loneliness (Nagata Kabi)
HISTORICAL FICTION:Patience and Sarah (Isabel Miller)
MYSTERY: Fingersmith (Sarah Waters(
SciFi- Daughters of a coral dawn _(Katherine V Forrest)
NONFICTION: Skin: Talking About Sex, Class, and Literature (Dorothy Allison) My single story is based upon lesbians/gay females. I have lots of friends who are lesbian and have told me they have faced lots of stereotyping from friends and family. Most of the time they are thought of to be more masculine, one of my friends telling me her mom told her that wearing dresses gave others "mixed signals" about her. Another being that they are good at sports or that they all love and have a cat. Also that they hate men. And the biggest one of all is that falling and being in love is much different from straight people. I always try to be as open and understanding as possible to everyone, and most of these stereotypes I don't have but society does. I am interested to see how feminism plays a role in these stories and also how romance does, if it is the same sort of typical straight love story.

2 comments:

  1. Looks like you have a focused collection here with a strong purpose for selecting those texts. I look forward to learning more about your findings and enjoyment of these texts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. PS--Please title all entries and tag them as well, so you and others can sort through them in the future.

    ReplyDelete