Thursday, August 30, 2018

Small, Rural Town Full of Single Stories

As someone who grew up in an extremely small, rural town (graduating class of 69 students) I lacked diversity in my life. The populating of the town in 2015 was 98% white, primarily Christians. I do know that more kids have been coming out more recently due to acceptance in society, but I still only knew about 5 people in my high school in the LGBTQ+ community. I compiled a list of single stories that I know I have in my head, but also some single stories that people have about me:
-Lives of people of different religions (stereotypes of how they act and celebrate their beliefs)
    - I grew up in a very small town where the population was primarily lower-class white Christians.
- The opposing side in any politics.
-Any LGBTQ, the differences between the different sexual orientations→ Gay meaning all sexual preferences other than straight
    -Also the stereotype of gay men being feminine and gay females being masculine
-Feminism. Much of society believing it’s all females>males, when really its everyone is =!
-How females dress… Something I definitely relate to. The single story that females are trying to “impress”, or the fact that every day females must or do dress feminine.
-Dancers aren’t athletes. An argument that comes up frequently. Many only think ballet. There are many other styles, and it isn’t only about the art to it.
-People with mental diseases, such as depression and anxiety. Usually told to “shake it off” or “don’t worry about it” or “just cheer up” when, in reality, that can do nothing or make the situation worse.  

1 comment:

  1. I appreciate your willingness to go so deep regarding home. It's sometimes difficult to take such an unflinching look!

    ReplyDelete